Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nosferatu: eine Symphonie des Grauens (A Symphony of Horror/Terror, 1922)

Director:  F.W. Murnau
Cast:  Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, Greta Schröder, Alexander Granach, Ruth Landshoff, Wolfgang Heinz

Finally, I'm doing a review of Nosferatu!  About time, since I've been talking about it for God knows how many reviews.

Nosferatu is widely considered the most realistic, famous and, in my opinion, intense, vampire film ever made. The plot is basically the same as Dracula, so I'm just going to go ahead and move into the review.

The reason why the names are changed is because Murnau could not obtain the rights to the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker.  Thus, Dracula becomes Orlok (Max Schreck), Jonathan Harker becomes Thomas Hutter (Gustav von Wangenheim), Mina Harker becomes Ellen Hutter (Greta Schröder), Renfield becomes Knock (Alexander Granach), and Lucy becomes Annie (Ruth Landshoff).  However, the film is now public domain in the States, so the dialogue screens have been changed to the original Dracula names.

I think this film deserves 5 out of 5 stars.  Brilliant directing, and it does its job as a horror film.

I have recently discovered the original German version, and I must say, it is much more chilling and haunting than the Americanized version.  Some of the dialogue scenes are different, and the music is completely different.  It is also tinted and the dialogue text is different.  I will post both the German version and the American version here.  Both are not for the faint of heart, I must say; this movie made me utter my first scream.

German version
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment