Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Stock (1950)

Director:  Charles Walters
Cast:  Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Gloria DeHaven, Marjorie Main, Phil Silvers, Eddie Bracken

Tonight, I'm celebrating Judy Garland's birthday by reviewing a film that gives me two for the price of one:  Gene Kelly and Judy.  Three for the price of one, if you count Gloria DeHaven, who starred with my other boyfriend Donald O'Connor in YES SIR THAT'S MY BABY (1949).

PLOT:  Jane Falbury (Judy Garland) is a farmgirl.  Her actress sister Abigail (Gloria DeHaven) brings her theater troupe, led by director Joe Ross (Gene Kelly), to her barn, hoping to use it.  Of course, like every farm person whose life is disturbed, she doesn't like it.  So, she decides to make Joe and the gang do chores around the farm in return.  Clever.  Joe decides to play Mr. Rogers and teach everyone the value of a hard day's work through song.  Clever again.

Cheesy hilarity ensues as everyone tries to adapt to their new lives as farmers.  One night, Joe and Jane share a romantic song and dance which results in Joe kissing her and Jane running away.  The reason she does that is because Joe is set to marry Abigail and Jane is set to marry Orville (Eddie Bracken).  But that problem seems to be solved when Abigail leaves for New York for a part in a big show.  Joe and Phil Silvers (genius comedian) convince Jane to do the show.

The opening night is a success until Orville and Abigail show up.  They try to ruin Joe and Jane's relationship until they realize that they are in love with each other.  The film ends with a musical number (and Gene Kelly in a sexy green plaid shirt).

REVIEW:  I'm going to be completely and totally honest:  I loved Gene and Judy, as always, but this film was just downright crappy.  So below Gene's caliber of film, and I found myself shaking my head muttering "what the fuck?" during the hillbilly number that Phil and Gene performed.  I enjoyed the rest of the musical numbers, and Gene was beyond hot in this movie, so I guess I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5 stars.  Gene, I hope you're up there in Heaven appreciating the things I do for you, man. -_-

Trailer:
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment