Monday, July 16, 2012

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1939)

Director:  Richard Thorpe
Cast:  Mickey Rooney, Walter Connolly, William Frawley, Rex Ingram

Y'know, ever since I read this book junior year of high school, I've wondered what kind of idiot hick would name their kid Huckleberry.  You all have probably read the book already (and if you haven't, why are you on the Internet?), so I'm not going to give you the plot because I don't tolerate and cannot stand lazy/failing students/people, and also because that is what the book is for.

REVIEW:  The first time I saw this movie, I was stricken by Mickey Rooney.  I love his Huck Finn, so innocent and charming to the naked eye, but mischievous, like the Huck in the novel, underneath.  Speaking of the novel, the movie follows it closely, which is rare of book-movie adaptations.  The characters, brought to life, are as funny and charming as they are in the book.  If you're one of those weirdos that finds this book/movie racist, yes it is slightly, but more importantly, it is one of the greatest American novels by one of the greatest American authors, and I highly recommend it.

Trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment